Field Service Specialist
Division: Chief Operations Office Location: Houston, TX – USA
Primary Purpose of Role
Field Service Solutions is located in Aalesund, Singapore and Houston and work closely with System Engineering, Service Delivery and Field Service departments globally.
This position is responsible for driving improvement and effectiveness of service visits to vessels by preparing scope of work and anticipated spare parts required to ensure success in one visit to the vessel. Analyze trends and provide valuable feedback into Supply Chain, System Engineering and Field Service teams to improve process, product and monitoring capabilities. Proactively monitor and act on deviations on system performance. They will be required to work independently with excellent attention to detail and a continuous improvement mind-set.
- Utilize monitoring, performance analysis, network management software and hardware to troubleshoot and isolate issues and trace data and protocol activity
- Maintain and build technical knowledge, product knowledge and QA methodology.
- Devise solutions to complex functional impairments within the capacity and operational limitations of Inmarsat managed service solutions
- Remotely diagnose stabilized VSAT systems, FBB Terminals and Networking Peripherals in order to scope spare part requirements and repair activities
- Responsible for monitoring service requests and evaluating system failures and failure history to ensure that scope of work addresses definitive resolution
- Give input to Supply Chain to ensure adequate stocking levels based on failure trends
- Assess Field Engineers’ proficiencies and training requirements; drive mechanism to match job scope to proficient field engineers
- Provide direct remote assistance to Service Partners field staff
- Thorough analysis and diagnosis reports to justify attendances and correct part replacement.
- Collaborate with engineering to validate vendor firmware updates for stabilized antenna systems
- Required to rotate weekends for on-call duties
- Might be required to travel out in the field for special projects
- Responsible for testing and verifying new installation and upgrade projects for products
- Contribute in development of tools and processes for proactive monitoring and repair capabilities
- Capable of working on multiple work assignments, perform well under pressure and to deadline
Desirable Knowledge and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering. Master’s degree & technical certification is desirable. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in implementing complex satellite infrastructure & wireless network management tools.
- Should have a proven background in VSAT/Telecommunications, TCP/IP network.
- Experience in IP network and computer systems. CISCO CCNA or CCNP certification is desirable.
- Experience with Microsoft Visio.
- Knowledge of iDirect, satellite antenna (C, KU and KA-band) ? Proven Maritime Experience and Knowledge base desirable.
- Ability to read vessel General Arrangement drawings, Electrical Schematics, and IP Logical Layouts.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work from several different application platforms simultaneously in a timely manner.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills demonstrated by the ability to assimilate new information and understand complex topics
- Ability to think clearly and problem solve in a high stress environment a must
- Hands-on experience of installation, configuration and test of VSAT and other systems is advantageous
- Fluent in English (oral and written)Basic to advanced TCP/IP networking knowledge