IoT Edge Engineer
Roles & Responsibilities:
· Leads IoT hardware & embedded software solutions for our IoT initaitives.
· Designs and develops IoT hardware and embedded software including modules with sensors, wireless transmission devices.
· Develops prototypes; debugs; sets-up and directs lab and field testing;
· Leads board design, driver integration, system validation and detailed testing
· Works on/involved with design refinement, concurrent engineering and bringing the product through its first production run.
· Develops and tests embedded software to collect data from industrial products, process and transmit to cloud
· Programming PLCs, Micro controllers and Edge Gateways
· Technical liaison for 3rd party engineering development, contract manufacturing, and RF and industrial hazardous compliance certifications.
· Innovation contributor for new IoT hardware/sensor designs or procuring the right off the shelf cost effective hardware/sensors. Analyzes and helps with buy Vs build decisions.
· Rigorous revision controls for documentation of all software and hardware specifications
· Assisting in the review and confirmation of system user manuals, as-built electrical/mechanical drawings, Bill of Material (BoM) lists, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and spare parts lists;
· Works to understand data analytic needs as they will execute within hardware/embedded software design parameters
· BS, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, or equivalent in experience required. MS is a plus.
· At least five years’ experience as a firmware engineer or micro coder
· Two or more years related experience in the sensor design and integration.
· Working experience with embedded hardware (e.g.: AVR, Cortex-M, Raspberry Pi or Arduino)
· Solid working knowledge of analog, digital and mix-signal design methods and best practices
· Strong experience with building products with electronics components, sensors, actuators, and radio interfaces
· Integrate 3rd party sensor inputs into solutions with an on board MPU.
· Rapid prototyping PCB’s including CAD design.
· Experience and comfort with lab tools such as debuggers, logic analyzers, and oscilloscopes
· Circuitry power optimization and integration of various peripherals from Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Cellular modules.
· Excellent C/C++, Python, Java programming for device / sensor programming skills.
· Familiarity with schematic/PCB layout software , Edge computing platforms and gateways.
· Experience with RF, certifications, measurement, testing.
· Experience with Bluetooth, and Wifi 802.11x protocols. Mesh networking a plus.
· Familiarity with assembly language and reading sensor data sheets
· Familiar with encrypted polyglot persistence options on IoT devices for secure storage and transmission. Experience with encryption, security, and networking concepts;
· Experience with Linux or derivatives (i.e. Yocto, Ubuntu) and Windows also desirable.
· Strong experience building embedded software using various device protocols (Modbus, CANbus, OPC-UA, MQTT…) and communication protocols (Zigbee, LoRA, BLE, WiFi, cellular…)
· Strong analytical, written, verbal, and interpersonal skills required.
· Strong team player with the ability to collaborate and communicate with complex matrixed teams across the globe
· Able to work independently and provide updates to management
· Well-developed negotiation and influencing skills, for technical and non-technical audiences.
· Ability to travel to company locations or customers when needed.
Additional Skills: (Nice to have)
· Experience with MEMS based accelerometers a plus.
· 10+ years’ experience in PCB design & development of released product. (Strongly preferred)
· Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure or Google.
· Experience with databases such as SQLserver, MySQL