Manager, Infrastructure Engineering
Job Title: Manager, Infrastructure Engineering
Location: New Haven CT 06473 (Hybrid Role)
Duration: Perm (FTE) role
- The Manager, Infrastructure Engineering is responsible for the build and deploy of enterprise infrastructure solutions and capabilities in alignment with the enterprise architecture developed by the Chief Architect and Senior Solution Architects for the Corporate segment, including exploration and deployment of new middleware, network, open systems, mainframe, and identity management computing technologies.
- This Manager oversees/supervises the Infrastructure and Identity engineer staff and is responsible for leading the build and deployment of complex systems and platforms while maintaining close interaction with business stake holders, Solution Architects, design teams, development and QA teams on a variety of infrastructure projects in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- The ideal candidate will have strong business and technology acumen with the ability to deliver the capabilities and solutions defined by the Enterprise Architectural team.
- Provides tier 3 support for all distributed systems, mainframe computing, network systems, databases, middleware applications, identity access management systems, and all associated technology.
- Responsible for the creation of operational documentation required by Infrastructure Operations and End User Services to provide tier 1 and 2 support for solutions deployed by the Infrastructure and Identity Engineering Team.
- Responsible for staff/employee administration (staffing recommendations, performance appraisals, coaching and counseling, work assignments, resource planning, etc.). Trains or provides appropriate training for employees; coaches, provides feedback and support, counsels and motivates employees.
- Oversees build, deployment, and tier 3 support for all distributed systems, mainframe computing, network systems, databases, middleware applications, identity access management systems, and all associated technology.
- Supervises/oversees project related activities associated with his/her functional responsibilities.
- Encompasses working with business stake holders, Solution Architects, Enterprise Information Management, Solution Delivery Teams and Project Management professionals (internal & external), as well as self-management of less complex project activities in accordance with established project management processes and procedures.
- Adheres to ITS/EIS policy, process and procedures and proactively seeks opportunities to enhance existing ITS ITIL processes (service requests, incident & problem management, change management, etc.).
- Develops and refines process and procedures specific to functional responsibilities.
- Manages vendor relations for the functions he/she is responsible for; assists with vendor identification and selection, contract negotiation and statement of work (SOW) reviews.
- Evaluates and recommends technology solutions; participates in decisions regarding purchase and selection, in-house development and modification, assessment and implementation.
- Responsible for ensuring the creation of operational documentation and tactical plans related to the infrastructure solutions and capabilities deployed by Infrastructure and Identity Engineering.
- Professionalism/Personal Accountability, Collaboration and Teamwork, Communication, Flexible and Adapts to Change, Service to Customers and Clients
- Additional Competencies for managers: Strategic Planning, Talent Development, Leadership
- Strong understanding of virtualization platforms and hybrid cloud environments, Windows OS, Linux OS, Mainframe OS, network design and protocols, voice technologies, databases and storage, backup and archive, disaster recovery, and infrastructure monitoring
- Knowledge and understanding of web technologies, platforms, patterns, frameworks, and methodologies
- Knowledge and understanding of single sign-on systems, identity access management systems, and PII data security best practices
- Knowledge and understanding of typical multi-tier architectures: web servers, caching, application servers, load balancers, and storage
- Knowledge and understanding of cloud-based computing architectures like SaaS, IaaS, PaaS, UCaaS, CCaaS and other cloud environments
- Experience with general security technologies, processes, and concepts
- Experience with environments containing multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments
- Excellent communication, presentation, influencing, and reasoning skills
- Ability to clearly communicate complex concepts with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Strong leadership, interpersonal skills and ability to work cross-functionally
- Strong business judgment and decision-making skills. Ability to identify, prioritize, and articulate highest impact initiatives
- Ability to learn and adjust quickly to a dynamic and changing environment
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, PowerPoint, Visio, and Outlook
- Knowledge of ITSM standards and processes
- Quickly assess and addresses staff related issues or differences
- Ensures team and individual staff goals are aligned with IT strategic vision
- Self-motivated individual capable of thinking out of the box
- Possesses an open minded approach, listens to the opinions of others, strong teamwork mentality, avoids or quickly resolves conflict, and completes tasks in a timely manner
- Takes a proactive approach to identify areas needing improvement and develops plans to address them
Education and Experience Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, computer engineering, or a related field, or equivalent work experience
- 7-10 years of IT experience including supervising team(s) responsible for, distributed server systems, mainframe systems, network/voice systems, enterprise middleware and web services/systems, or equivalent combination of training and experience
- ITIL Foundation certification is a plus
Key Leadership Behaviors
- Sets a clear strategic direction
- Adapts to change quickly
- Fosters mutual trust
- Follows through on actions, promises, and assignments
- Demonstrates high ethical standards
- Lives, leads, manages, and works with integrity
- Accepts responsibility for own actions
- Leverages the strengths of each team member
- Treats others with respect and empathy
- Creates a working environment that motivates high individual performance
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for a majority of the workday.
IT / Software Development
Manager (Manager/Supervisor of Staff)
CT, New Haven 06473