Sr. Cloud Systems Admin
IL, Chicago/Buffalo Grove
Click here to expand the job description.
The IT Infrastructure team is responsible for the delivery and support of AWS systems and services, as well as implementing cloud-specific projects for internal IT and business units. The Senior AWS Systems Administrator role is to provide experienced assistance in the design, implementation, deployment, and support of the company's cloud infrastructure.
This role requires experience working with cloud infrastructure. AWS experience heavily preferred and experience with GCP is a huge plus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Resolve actual or potential problems with IT infrastructure in a timely and proactive manner, in order to deliver continually available production level capabilities necessary to meet business objectives.
- Monitor access to these systems in order to ensure data security and integrity.
- Evaluate, install and configure tools and services that assist the team in managing the systems.
- Contribute to the design, planning and deployment of new AWS products and services.
- Maintain and update operating systems and system software.
- Identify opportunities for system & process improvements.
- Analyze trends in system utilization to predict future growth for capacity planning purposes.
- 24 x 7 production environment support (via pager).
- Mentors less experienced system administrators.
- Consults and may take a lead role in resolving technical incidents and drives technical aspects of relevant Root Cause Analysis (RCA) exercises. Reports timely incident resolution status to management as needed.
- Reports project status to management. Executes all infrastructure related aspects of a project.
- Facilitates timely completion of assignments for self and less experienced team members.
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent related experience
- Experience in Unix/Linux system design and Unix/Linux administration.
- Experience in Unix/Linux systems operations and project execution.
- Fault analysis/determination and problem solving skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts and issues to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Knowledge of various Unix/Linux scripting languages including expert knowledge in two or more scripting languages.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux Operating System fundamentals.
- Excellent team work, communication and documentation skills.
- Experience with multiple Unix/Linux distributions, preferably Ubuntu and Red Hat.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux-based database administration, especially MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Ability to use standard Unix/Linux performance tools to analyze system performance
- An understanding of production environments, including the requirement for high availability and team oriented 24x7 support capabilities.
- Expertise in all standard Unix/Linux Client/Server network protocols
- Familiarity with computing infrastructures, including Data Security, Help Desk, Operations, Network Computing, Data Base and Application Development.
- Ability to be a self-starter and to take initiative in critical situations.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision.
- Technical: Expert level. Researches leading edge technology. Designs and supports the implementation of cloud, system, and software solutions including those of a complex nature and broad scope. Recommends technical strategic direction. Conducts performance analysis, and recommends asset upgrades based on capacity and financial forecast. Competent to work on and mentor others in complex system designs. Optimizes performance of business partners through advanced technical design.
- Non-Technical: Interacts positively with teammates and business partners; mentors teammates; articulates complex design effectively; makes effective presentations to upper levels of IS and
- 24 x 7 production environment support (via pager).
- This person will work within, and may lead, cross-functional teams to provide successful project implementations.
- The performance of this individual will directly impact the company's ability to do business, specifically, all cloud-computing business applications.
- This individual will participate in, and may lead, high impact problem resolution scenarios, which involve technicians, software suppliers, service providers and business departments.
- Responsible for maintaining the critical IT infrastructure capabilities required for business operation. Operations will be seriously affected if basic/advanced maintenance functions are not completed as needed and if fault management is not performed in a timely fashion.
- Responsible for timely deployment and completion of projects as part of the IT Infrastructure team. Project completion and cycle times would be adversely affected if these projects are not adequately and competently staffed with the appropriate team UNIX/LINUX resources.
- Support an AWS Unix/Linux operating environment (24x7), ensuring high or continuous availability and performance. Lead projects to upgrade Unix/Linux software and AWS services. Follow department installation guidelines and procedures.
- Demonstrates advanced knowledge of systems analysis and design discipline through years of experience. Serves as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for issues related to many complex systems. Transfers knowledge to others. Provides design and deliverables of a variety of projects including those of a complex nature. Recommends advanced strategic direction for projects.
- Sets direction; manages own, and may oversee other’s assignments and time to complete work. Designs approach. Guides alternatives and actions.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.