Manager of Data & Information Services
Job Title: Manager of Data & Information Services
Location: New Haven CT 06473 (Hybrid Role)
Duration: Perm (FTE) role
- The Manager, Data & Information solution leads the development and maintenance of the data pipeline including supporting the existing data echo-system and driving the modernization of data capabilities to a cloud-based architecture. The Manager, Data & Information Solutions collaborates with the Manager, Data Architecture & Governance on design of current and future data warehouse and data mart solutions, including overall design, technology stacks, and architecture. The Manager, Data & Information Solutions also leads the design, development, and maintenance of ongoing metrics, reports, analyses, dashboards, and other BI and analytics solutions to drive key business decisions.
- Manage the staff and operations for assigned area, including resource management, hiring recommendations, performance appraisals including developing and monitoring performance standards, succession planning, and all related employment issues. Ensures adherence to company policy.
- Train or provide appropriate training and development for employees; provide direction, coach, provide feedback and support, counsel and motivates employees. Foster a positive, supportive, and fun work environment while providing opportunity for team members to try new roles and take on new responsibilities.
- Work closely with customers to understand the business requirements that drive the analysis and design of quality technical solutions.
- Collaborate with the Manager, Data Architecture & Governance on design of current and future data warehouse and data mart solutions, including overall design, technology stacks, and architecture.
- Coordinate requirements solicitation, functional requirements definition, systems analysis, design, development and support activities through direct and indirect reports.
- Design and automate data ingestion processes and always be thinking about the data architecture and the integrity of your data with an eye toward eliminating redundant data maintenance.
- Create and support design patterns.
- Lead delivery of cloud-based data architecture, warehouse, lake, vault, and mart solutions.
- Provides subject matter expertise in the areas of Business Intelligence, Operational Reporting, and Data Analytics.
- Understand data landscape i.e. tooling, tech stack, source systems etc. and work closely with the data architecture team to improve data collection and quality capabilities.
- Design, document, and implement data warehouse strategies, including building ETL, ELT, and Data Pipeline processes.
- Develop processes for loading and transforming of large volumes of structured and semi-structured data.
- Collaborate with data architects, data modelers, and data governance practitioners to implement high-performance, highly secure solutions.
- Use customer centric approaches for choosing courses of action or developing appropriate solutions.
- Apply an MVP mindset to solving problems and negotiating deliverables.
- Participate in component and data architecture design, performance monitoring, product evaluation and buy versus build recommendations including the selection of tools, technology platforms & technical evaluation of 3rd party vendor products.
- Provide guidance and implementation support to both the technical and application teams on systems interfacing with data warehouse platforms.
- Ensure that all components of the solutions integrate effectively into the overall IT Architecture and meet all regulatory and compliance guidelines.
- Participate in data warehouse development by defining metadata and security standards.
- Mentor less experienced team members.
- Communicate with department management, Scrum masters, team members and business groups on issues and the status of work planned and completed.
- Create and present reports as requested.
- On-Call and/or after-hours work required.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Supervisory skills
- Strong listening skills
- Ability to prioritize and successfully manage multiple initiatives
- Sound judgment in decision making
- Proven experience in overseeing the direction, development and implementation of software solutions
- Proven experience managing diverse and rapidly evolving IT platform and solutions
- Proven experience leading and managing technology teams in the delivery of business outcomes
- Strong experience in functional & technical analysis/design
- Possesses a full range of application management, strategic management, business process improvement, financial management, strong leadership and influencing skills
- Has an understanding of the industry and the implications of emerging technologies for the wider business environment
- Experienced in application management delivery methodologies (agile, iterative, DevOps, waterfall, testing, micro-services, lean six sigma, etc.)
- Knowledgeable in IT Service Management and experienced in ITIL Service Design, Service Operation and Service Transition
- 3-5 years’ experience working with Data Warehouse, lake, and mart platforms
- Hands-on experience with one or more cloud-based data warehouse platforms
- Strong knowledge of EAI/SOA best practices, development methodologies & standards
- Hands on experience implementing and supporting Enterprise wide data integrations
- Understanding of REST & SOAP Web Service and how to uses SoapUI, REST API clients
- Ideal candidate will have experience with SQL, one or more programming languages, and possess strong troubleshooting skills
- Insurance background i.e. Life Insurance or other insurance related products desirable
- Experience creating and managing APIs in a Data as a Service environment desirable
- Experience with data visualization tools such as Tableau a plus
Education and Experience Qualifications
- BA or BS in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field
- 10-15 years or more related work experience