Mechanical Engineer (# 5725)
Job Title: Mechanical Engineer
Location: Parsippany NJ, 07054
Duration: 06 months Contract to hire
Must Haves : mechanical engineering, 3D modeling of mechanical components and assemblies preferably CREO, Design of hardware preferably in aerospace or defense industr
Staff Engineer, Mechanical
- The Staff Engineer is responsible to complete and contribute to the design, development, testing, qualification, and production support of products in a cost effective and timely fashion to meet the customer’s needs and schedules.
- The engineer shall work within a multi-disciplined organization and enlist the help of other disciplines when necessary, such as other engineers, manufacturing, purchasing, and quality assurance.
- Design Electromechanical Actuators from a blank sheet of paper to meet customer requirements.
- Design of spur, bevel, worm, and planetary gears
- Design and analysis of kinematic mechanisms i.e., Slider Crank, Scotch Yoke, 4-Bar
- Sizing and selection of Ball Screws capable of meeting system performance requirements
- Sizing and selection of Bearings (Radial, Thrust, Angular contact) to meet loads and life necessary to meet system performance.
- Familiar with Brushless DC motor design
- Create and modify drawings with appropriate GD&T, documentation of change and efficacy. Verify Bill of Material. Ensure accuracy of drawings.
- Design cost effective easily manufacturable hardware considering:
- tolerance stack-ups
- ease of assembly
- meet customer installation requirements.
- materials of construction
- methods of manufacture
- mechanical environment (Thermal and Vibe) and Application Loading
- preliminary analytical results (Hand calcs and FEA)
- mistake proofing
- Disposition non-conforming hardware and correct production/vendor issues.
- Perform failure investigations of designs.
- Create/Review and Approve processes for assembly, test, and related activities to the development and qualification testing of a design.
- Interface with internal and external customers to determine product changes needed for applications as a representative of the company.
- Write technical documents for internal and external customers.
- Participate in design reviews (internal and external)
- Support new business pursuits that address program technical requirements and associated schedule and costs.
- Mentor and Guide Junior team members
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
- 8+ years’ experience and technical knowledge in mechanical engineering design of hardware preferably in aerospace or defense industry.
- Experience designing and testing designs to Mil-Std-810 Environments or similar (Humidity, Salt Fog, Vibration and Shock etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience solving technical problems using a methodical scientific approach.
- Experience in 3D modeling of mechanical components and assemblies preferably CREO
- Experience with Electromechanical Actuation Servo Systems
- Experience with Brushless DC motor design and or operation
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis for Structural, Thermal and Dynamic Analysis
- Possess organizational and task management skills to work concurrent issues in parallel.
- Leadership skills to interface with various other teams and disciplines at the company.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes such as additive manufacturing, casting, milling, turning, grinding, drilling, etc.
- Must be a US Citizen, ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
- Position entails exposure to typical manufacturing (i.e., Machine Shop, Assembly, Testing, etc.) environments inclusive of the appropriate eye, hearing and foot protection (as required).
- Business office environment requiring use of telephone and personal computer.
- Work under pressure and overtime when required, to meet deadlines.
A reasonable, good faith estimate of the minimum and maximum hourly wage for this position is $70/hr. to $90/hr..