Network Consulting Director
Network Consulting Director-INF0001QR
A high level individual contributor role within the Infrastructure operations that successfully manages Network services delivered by one or more external service providers. This position works through external service providers to ensure the secure and stable operation of networks including availability, reliability, quality and adherence to the client’s Architecture standards. Ensures clear expectations and scope requirements are provided to vendor partners and teams and that all agreed-upon outcomes are achieved on schedule, within budget and with high quality. Acts as a key point of contact for network vendors and the client internally, defining business goals and measurements with the vendors, building and maintaining strong relationships and measuring / monitoring vendor performance to drive continuous improvement.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Responsible for and acts as the primary contact person for Infrastructure Vendor regarding Network Services and Unified Communications. Establish objectives and metrics for Network services area and ensures performance against expectations.
- Serves as a primary conduit between vendors and internal stakeholders to ensure business goals and consistent, continuously improved results are delivered, working within the framework of the infrastructure vendor contract to define outcomes, SLA’s and proper, unambiguous measurements for on-going network support and projects that properly incentivize both internal resources and the vendors to perform in the client’s best interest
- Delivers results, creating value for the client brand, customers, and key internal stakeholders by ensuring reliable, cost effective and optimized business operations utilizing information technology infrastructure, applications and tools.
- Maintains a keen understanding of vendor contracts and what each clause means operationally, including how the contractual terms and conditions relate to operational activities, including but not limited to understanding variable cost payments, low capital intensity arrangements, penalties / remedies for poor/non-performance, incentives, outcomes-based pricing, etc.
- Measures and monitors vendor performance and constantly reviews outcomes to determine how to change them to continuously drive better results at lower costs and to co-develop capabilities with vendors for the purposes of reducing costs, improving processes and innovating services.
- Clarifies unclear directives and promotes productive and effective issue resolution with service providers and across the IT organization. Troubleshoots performance or contractual problems and works cross-functionally with internal stakeholders at all levels and service providers to recommend and/or employ effective solutions
- Monitors new developments and industry best practices to incorporate into IT and actively and enthusiastically promotes the creative use of information technology to improve innovation, productivity and to enhance customer service across the company.
- Builds operational relationships that are mutually beneficial and not solely reliant upon managing to the letter of the contract, but creates a vested interest in working together with vendor service providers toward mutually agreed-upon outcomes – utilizing effective and efficient lines of two-way communication, characterized by transparency and trust
- Prepares and manages to an annual budget for this position’s areas of responsibility and performs necessary financial tasks to ensure compliance to budget and internal IT controls.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically reports to Assistant Vice President (AVP) or above.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
In-depth knowledge of networks (voice, data and video network), and unified communications
- Proven track record of developing and executing technology strategies and programs, and a passion for new and emerging technologies, migrating legacy technologies to more modern technologies (Software Defined Networks, SD WAN, converged voice, data and video). Successful track record in planning and budgeting and exposure to negotiating and determining SLAs and preferred outcomes with IT vendors
- Superior interpersonal, presentation, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to think analytically, critically and creatively in an outcome-based model to identify viable options from conceptualization to execution and to interact effectively with internal and external business partners at all levels and plan for short and long-term goals.
- Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional image and approach, exercising professional judgement, making decisions and assuming responsibility for decisions which have an impact on people, costs, and the delivery of services.
- Previous experience managing vendor partners with a proven track record of building, developing and managing service delivery and support teams.
- Ability to act with a sense of urgency and accountability while achieving quality results and identifying and resolving problems and issues within the scope of responsibility.
- Detail-orientation with proven analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to effectively plan and direct multiple projects and project teams.
- Ability to act as a thought leader in researching and presenting innovative ways to solve complex infrastructure related issues, including working with IT Managed Service Providers and other vendor partners with root cause analysis, SLA adherence and outcomes-based results.
- Acts as a thought leader in researching and presenting innovative ways to solve complex infrastructure related issues, including working with IT Managed Service Providers with root cause analysis and SLA adherence.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office suite and other business related software.
- Demonstrated experience with various technologies relevant to assigned IT Vendor Management area.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related work experience.
- Minimum of ten years in networks, telecom and contact center - preferably in the insurance industry.
- Experience in a business-facing IT role or similar experience providing customer service for an IT service.
- Experience working with IT vendors and/or Managed Service Providers, preferably in outcome-based models.
- Willingness and ability to lead and provide mentorship to other Infrastructure vendor managers.
- CCNA, CCIE and other relevant certifications preferred.