Position: Principal Engineer
Location: Seattle WA OR Remote
At this incredible non-profit company we have the privilege of working each day to help young people become the architects of a better tomorrow. We’ve grown from our grassroots beginnings into a global nonprofit. We serve diverse communities by advocating for policies to enhance, gathering research to support, and developing educational programs to advance the safety and well-being of children through social-emotional learning (SEL). We’re best known for our innovative program that allows family of SEL programs, which blend research and rigor with intuitive design to help young people build strengths that will help them realize their goals throughout life.
To achieve our vision of safe children thriving in a just and peaceful world, we’re committed to helping build an anti-racist, equitable, and inclusive society that supports the positive development of every child. We’ve set a North Star Goal to positively transform the social-emotional well-being of 100 million children annually by 2028, and in pursuit of that goal, we’re looking for an experienced Principal Software Engineer to join our team.
As the Principal Software Engineer, you are an expert developer who can work both deep in the code across broad areas of the product and at high levels of system design and architecture. You have passion to continue learning, a knack for simplifying complex problems, and a drive to help others. In this role, you use your extensive experience, great technical skills, and creative problem solving to take on big challenges with little supervision and improve our technology and capabilities across development teams.
- Develop and maintain both a deep knowledge of the entire system and the ability to jump into code in any component to contribute effectively and provide technical guidance
- Review business requirements and make decisions on technical product solutions and internals based on deep subject matter knowledge
- Set technical product direction and maintain ownership over large components
- Think both strategically and tactically, keeping in mind both technical goals and company goals
- Provide technical leadership for projects involving a team of 3–4 individuals
- Guide and support the engineering teams in the best use of cloud technologies
- Monitor and improve the security, scalability, and efficiency of our cloud platform
- Collaborate with the director of engineering and the tech leads to establish processes including (but not limited to) SDLC, QA, and performance optimization
- Increase team skill and product quality through thoughtful code reviews and architecture discussions
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor of Science (BS) degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 15 years of experience in developing customer-facing systems, with at least eight years of experience in distributed cloud-based systems
- Highly experienced in developing highly scalable & composable RESTful APIs between internal and external service layers using industry standards
- Expert-level experience in the digital content management and distribution domains, including ePub3, HTML5, CDNs, encryption, protection, and multi-device delivery
- Expert knowledge of a variety of applications, data persistence, and orchestration technologies including:
- Data persistence concepts, methodologies and data constructs: relational and object, no-SQL, JSON, deployment topologies, caching layers, etc.
- Software development lifecycle, DevOps principles
- Unit, Integration and Performance Testing best practices
- Web frameworks: React, React Native Web, Backbone, etc.
- Authentication, authorization, identity: Auth0, OpenID, WS-Security, WS-Trust, SAML 2.0
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of developing solutions within cloud service architectures (Azure experience preferred)
- Communicate effectively and respectfully to all members of the organization
- Strong interpersonal skills in their own team and across the organization
- Ability to understand multiple points of view and drive a process to conclusion in a timely and respectful manner
- Exceptional problem-solving, analytic, and diagnostic skills
- Ability to learn new technologies and tools rapidly
- Ability to document solutions clearly and communicate effectively with the team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work under time pressure
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including occasional periods of high volume
The ideal candidate must be committed to embodying our mission, vision, and values of excellence, integrity, equity, innovation, transformative impact, and authentic relationships. They must also demonstrate a commitment to supporting a culture of belonging by actively participating in organization-wide learning and development focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion, and by rooting their work in equity and inclusion.
What We Offer
This role will offer some amazing opportunities to add value, contribute, and make a difference while enjoying new challenges, a collaborative and diverse team, and professional development opportunities. We offer competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life, and retirement with generous employer match. We also offer commuting, wellness, and staff-development benefits. . All employees are currently working 100 percent remote until mid-September 2021. At that time, teleworking options will be available for most roles to work from home up to three days per week.