Site Reliability Engineer or System Admin
Position : Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
Location : New York, NY
Duration : 4+ Months contract , Will be extended
- This role will be responsible for implementing a disaster recovery plan for some of our core Windows-based systems by migrating bare metal servers to ESXi-based VMs.
- We have Windows servers at facilities in Kearny, NJ and Nottingham, MD that are running services on bare metal.
- You will need to work with the vendors who initially configured the bare metal servers to understand how the services work and how to perform the migration without adversely affecting our production operations.
- You will need to rack a few new servers and set up ESXi, configuring it with industry best practices like automatic snapshots stored in S3, vCenter, live VM migration, and more.
- One of the services uses an SQL Server database, and you'll need to set up a read-replica in a separate VM.
- Some of the work will happen on-premise across our facilities, but most of the work can be done remotely.
- Our Client, a Modern Farming Company, was founded with the belief that technology and human ingenuity can grow better food for a better future. Propelled by its proprietary software system, they build smart indoor vertical farms that deliver a wide variety of Protected Produce — in little time, near cities they serve, for a truly local approach.
- 5 years’ experience as a SRE or SysAdmin with focus on virtual environments Strong proficiency with Windows Servers Ability to set up VMware tools like vSphere, vCenter, and vSans with industry best practices
- Strong communication and vendor management skills
- Ability to work mostly autonomously given a clear project scope
- Flexible work hours (some of the work will take place at night)
- Ability to travel to Kearny, NJ and Nottingham, MD to work onsite
- Experience with cloud computing platforms like AWS Experience with SQL Server and setting up a read-replica database