Sr. Network/System Engineer - on site
Essential Job Functions
· Plans, designs, recommends, installs, upgrades, and supports data center activities and systems of data, voice, radio and video network infrastructures, equipment, servers, and applications to achieve optimum performance in accordance with the IT Service Level Agreement (SLA).
· Develops technical system documentation, training materials and provides training to users and other support staff.
· Assists in the creation of operational procedure manuals.
· Evaluates and monitors cost acquisition of network and server related items to obtain the best results, meet budget guidelines and ensure system compatibility.
· Assists in the development and operations of the IT Strategic Plan (ITSP).
· Reviews and evaluates technological network related needs and recommends appropriate solutions; works closely with vendors to ensure complete and successful projects.
· Troubleshoots, upgrades, or configures network systems or server hardware or operating system issues to determine cause(s) of failure and resolves problems including relocation of wiring infrastructure and ensuring compliance with warranties and/or specifications.
· Assists in the development and execution of preventive maintenance programs identifying weaknesses of current systems to determine critical server/storage or network issues, including cybersecurity.
· Acts as a liaison between the various divisions within the department along with the client departments.
· Provides input, recommendations on new technology and solicits technical specifications.
· Leads and coordinates IT, departmental, and vendor resources for projects in accordance with project plan.
· Provides guidance to team members Performs structured and complex analyses and develops integrated information flow according to documentation related to area of assignment.
· Monitors system capacity and utilization and performance of systems or networks and performs necessary restructure or recommends expansion.
· Upgrades network operating systems, server and storage systems and configures software.
· Researches, designs, develops security and integrity of network systems to ensure protection from inappropriate access or destruction to include disaster recovery and business continuity.
· Sets timelines and expectations for tasks within various project plans.
· Communicates clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
· Implements a preventive maintenance routine identifying weaknesses of current system to determine critical server/storage or networking issues.
· . Provides subject-matter expertise on complex technical issues related to their area of focus.
· Prepares presentation materials for meetings, documents, and follows up accordingly.
· Minimum 5 - 7 years network/system engineering.
· Current CCNP
· Network design and troubleshooting
· Principles and practices of excellent customer service.
· Principles and practices of ITSM (IT Service Management) systems to include incident/problem management; request fulfilment; knowledgebase; asset management and IT service catalogs.
· Network traffic and performance parameters, including understanding telecommunications theory and practice.
· Methods and procedures of systems administration and security and integrity maintenance.
· Connectivity, system integration, and network design.
· Structure development, features, and access including configurations protocol and interfacing.
· Current developments and trends of network technologies and/or server/data storage technologies.
· Principles and methods of system and storage capacity, physical, virtual and cloud-based Local Area Network wiring and distribution methods.
· Wide Areas Networking Connectivity utilizing T1, T3 and fiber backbone transports.
· . Advanced cybersecurity practices and procedures.
· Office methods, procedures, software and equipment.
· Applicable industry and safety codes and technology standards.
· Principles of project management, task completion and resource management.
· Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project and Microsoft Visio.
· Team formation and execution; how to motivate teams.
Cost-benefit analyses to
recommend the most effective solution.
· Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; translate between technical and nontechnical terms.
· Identify, analyze, and define administrative and technical issues, collect information, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and make appropriate recommendations.
· Effectively organize, prioritize and follow-up on work assignments to meet established deadlines.
· Proven excellent customer service skills.
· Provide technical advice and consultation to City staff in person, online, over the telephone, or by email.
· Identify, analyze, and resolve customer/user problems; take appropriate corrective action to problems; research technical materials to provide solutions to problems, or refer problems to appropriate staff.
· Learn complex principles, practices, techniques, and regulations pertaining to assigned duties.
· Effectively interpret and explain applicable processes, regulations, information technology protocols and hardware/software application solutions to users; listen and communicate information to persons with a diverse background of knowledge and experience.
· Establish, maintain, and promote positive and effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, public officials, and the public.
· Demonstrate initiative and exercise good judgment in the performance of duties.
· Respond to cybersecurity issues and remediate in a timely manner as instructed.
· Recognize, set, and follow priorities to meet deadlines.