- Support the Research and Strategy division in carrying out the Commission’s policy and research agenda in alignment with the higher education master plan.
- Identify opportunities to use data analysis, graphic design and/or programming expertise, in collaboration with Research and Strategy and Data Services staff, to visually depict data accurately and in ways that are accessible, engaging, innovative, and relevant to target audiences.
- Prepare and create visual tools and intuitive dashboards for various projects, including statutorily required reports, like those found here, utilizing features like interactive filters, parameters, and calculations, among others.
- Engage THEC staff to understand project requirements, develop functional specifications, build prototypes, conduct quality testing, and staff acceptance testing, and launch visualizations with iterative enhancements.
- Transform quantitative and qualitative data to effectively communicate, visually, verbally, and in writing, compelling stories to diverse audiences.
- Build and edit SQL queries for Tableau data source creation.
- Synthesize large and complex data, document, and validate data for future use.
- Fulfill external data and information requests, as assigned.
- Maintain and improve personal effectiveness by producing quality and timely outputs; adapting to changing priorities and demands; and acquiring and applying new skills and knowledge.
- Assist the Commission with additional day-to-day activities to improve college attainment in Tennessee.
- Minimum of three years’ experience designing and developing complex dashboards using Tableau.
- Minimum of three years’ experience writing complex SQL queries to build Tableau data sources.
- Minimum of three years’ demonstrated ability in user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) spaces, using a combination of user interface tools such as wire frames, prototypes, mock-ups, or white boarding to illustrate product usability.
- Empirical understanding of data systems (BI analytics, data blending, data warehousing, data ETL, etc.).
- Experience working with lay business users (staff) to capture and validate functional requirements and demonstrated ability to meet design specifications.
- Excellent communications skills, strong analytical skills, and ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to learn quickly, prioritize tasks and efficiently manage time.